General Computing Assistance
Lisa Preble, firstname.lastname@example.org or ext: 4-3965 is the computer support contact for
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Students
I prefer email. Please know that due to staffing limitations, I can provide only minimal computing support but I'll try my best to point you in the right direction.
Purchasing a new computer
At UCI, there are no restrictions on where you can purchase a new computer, but there are some limitations when using your PAL Card (Corporate Visa). Your purchasing staff can answer PAL Card questions.
Please consider extended warranty options. HSSOE computer staff can only provide very minimal desktop support. You will likely deal with warranty and hardware issues yourself.
In addition, your purchasing staff may have access to UCI's Newegg store.
If you have specific workstation requirements, Lisa Preble can help you with specifications and sending requests for quotes to vendors.
Campus Site Licenses
Office of Information Technology (OIT) maintains campus site licenses for:
- Academic & Research use
- Use this version to install on UCI-owned computers.
- Purchase the number of licenses your research group will use concurrently. You may install Matlab on additional computers but your usage is limited to the number of licenses you paid for.
- For example, If you paid for 2 licenses you may install it on 4 computers, as long as only 2 people use it at any given time.
- Matlab - Student Use (grad & undergrad)
HSSOE Site Licenses
HSSOE maintains licenses for the following software:
- Solidworks - Through 2017 the Dean's Office has covered the cost for our 2000-seat license.
- Download the Academic version
- Research-use is okay on Academic version.
- Use this option for UCI-owned computers.
- It connects to the campus license
- The Solidworks Student Engineerng Kit (full version) is available to ugrad & undergrad students at no cost.
- It can only be installed on personally-owned computers.
- The license is installed locally so you don't need campus network to run it.
- ANSYS recently donated software.
- Download & installation instructions HERE.
- For over 10 years, MSC Software has donated software to HSSOE.
- Available software includes Nastran, Patran, Dytran, & Marc Mentat.
- Download & installationl instructions HERE.
- MIcrosoft Software - Imagine Subscription
- Microsoft Software is available at no cost through our Premium Subscription.
- Use these instructions to activate your account.
- MS Office is not included with this program.
- Common downloads include:
- Windows 7
- WIndows 10
- Visual Studio
- MS Project
- MS Visio
- VMWare software is available through our VMware Subscription
- Use these instructions to activate your account.
- Common downloads include
- VMWare Workstation
- AutoCad has recently changed their licensing model (June 2014).
- For individual use, sign up for a Student or Educator account at AutoDesk Education
- If you need to install on a group of computers, you may use our Academic version at no cost
- Contact Lisa Preble for download & license information.
Some departments maintain their own separate licenses. Contact your department Chair or Business Manager for information.
How to obtain MS Office:
Your options are:
How to obtain Adobe Acrobat or other Adobe Software
Your options are:
- Check with your business manager to find out if your Dept has a site license for Adobe Acrobat.
- Purchase software & installation media from the UCI Bookstore's online software partner, Think Edu
- Adobe software at Think Edu
- Purchase software & installation media from SHI.
- Purchase directly from Adobe.
OIT manages email for UCI faculty. OIT is considering discontinuation of campus IMAP email services in 2015. We recommend you use UCI Google Apps for Gmail. You may use UCI Gmail as your IMAP server, thus allowing you to use Outlook or Thunderbird for your email client.
To enable IMAP on Google Apps:
- Go to: Getting Started with IMAP & POP
- Login with your UCI Google Apps account.
- Select "Enable IMAP"
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enable IMAP in your UCI Gmail settings.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your email client software.
General Email info:
How to register your computer for Ethernet in Engineering Buildings
STEP 1 - Register the Ethernet MAC address
- To connect a computer to an active jack, just register it's MAC address at
- Click the "Manual Registration" tab and login with your UCINetID.
- Type in your MAC address and Submit.
- Note: This is the same procedure as registering for campus WiFi, except you will register the MAC address of your wired network port of your device.
- There are instructions on the above OIT Mobile Access registration page to help you determine your MAC address, but if you need assistance just contact us.
STEP 2 - Set the computer to obtain its network address automatically from DHCP.
For a PC
- Set your Windows PC network settings under TCP/IP V4 to "Obtain IP address automatically"
- Here is a webpage to describe the steps.
For a MAC:
- On a Mac set the Configure IPv4 field to "Using DHCP".
- Here are detailed instructions to configure DHCP on a Mac.
How to Request Static IP Addresses
If you need static addresses for some computers, such as servers (if they need to keep the same IP address and have a hostname assigned to them), then you need to submit an IP address request form at http://www.oit.uci.edu/network/address/form.php
IMPORTANT: Be sure to specify the correct room and building number.
Sometimes the wrong information is auto-filled.
How to Configure a Static IP Address
After you receive an e-mail from OIT specifying your new IP address do the following:
- Go back into the OIT mobile registration database and edit the registration you submitted earlier.
- Specify the IP address that you were assigned by OIT.
- Reboot the computer and check to make sure it obtained the proper IP address.
Please note that all network jacks in all offices may not be active. You can look that up in the JPL or contact us to find out if a jack is active in a specific building/room.
Use campus VPN
to access computing resources from off-campus.
How to install Department Printer
- INPUT the IP address into a web browser
- Example: http://128.195.XXX.XXX (you would type in the actual IP address)
- Click the Support tab.
- Click "Install
- Download the setup.exe file
then click on it to initiate installation.
- Agree to license.
- On the printer
discovery screen click on the computer icon on the right to locate a specific
- Type in the IP address:
- Click Search.
- It should find the printer
- Click Next
- Keep the defaults
unless you need to make changes.
- Click Install.
- Click finish when done.
Contact your Department Business Manager or Lisa Preble for instructions on using departmental printers.
OIT has detailed information for the following groups: