Mac users - start here
Before bringing your Apple Computer to UCI Engineering, take these steps to ensure your computer will meet the expectations of your coursework.
Visit DreamSpark and activate your account with your @UCI.EDU email address. Setup a password.
- Having a DreamSpark account allows you to download Microsoft Software for free.
Purchase & Download Windows 10 Pro or Windows 7 Pro in DreamSpark (this is free),
- Purchase Windows 10 Pro or Windows 7 Pro in DreamSpark.
- This is a "no cost" purchase.
- The Product Key (aka Serial Number) shows up on the receipt.
- You can view your order and find it there.
- You need the Product Key to activate your installation of Windows.
- Download the software.
- Sometimes the download fails with Safari so use Mozilla Firefox.
Install Windows on your Mac using Bootcamp.
Use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi
- Consider installing BootCamp via Ethernet instead of Wi-fi
- The process will take about 1.5-2 hours over WiFi.
- Using Ethernet, it'll take around 5-10 minutes
Install system and security updates on Windows.
- After installing Windows on your Apple Computer, ensure your Windows OS is up-to-date by visiting Windows Update.
UCI requires you to install anti-virus software.
Here is a list of free for personal use protection programs is included below.
Keep in mind that there are many subscription based anti-virus/spyware programs which may better suit your needs.
Install fan control software to help with over-heating.
- Many Apple users complain of their laptops overheating while running Windows
- To solve this issue, it is recommended to install Mac Fan Control.
Use these instructions to activate Windows using the Product Key from DreamSpark.
- The product key is displayed on the receipt of your Windows product order.
Install the latest Microsoft .Net Framework.
Other resources for Mac Users
In the event you are having difficulty installing Windows, Please be aware of the following resources:
- ANTech Repair Center
- (949) 824-7096
- For a fee, The ANTech Repair Center can install Windows for you using BootCamp, Fusion, or Parallels.
- UCI Virtual Classroom
- UCI Libraries Laptop Checkout
- Install Windows in a VM using Fusion
- Use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi for installing BootCamp.
- Locations of Ethernet:
- MDEA (at every seat)
- Engineering Student Lounge, ICS 249. ICS 253, and ICS 259
- Register your Ethernet address (aka MAC address).
Unfortunately, we have not been able to test any of the new Apple laptops (post-June 2013) or any MacBooks, so we can not verify that the above solutions will work as expected.
IF YOU HAVE A NEW 2014 MACBOOK, FOLLOW THIS LINK.
Please feel free to contact us for any questions you have about using your Apple Computer at UCI.