Matlab is available for students to install on personally-owned laptops.
The Matlab Student license allows students to install MathWorks software on personally-owned computers. The campus student license was paid for using funds from student E-Tech fees. Please see OIT's Matlab page for purchase information on University-owned computers.
Matlab license expires annually and there is no renewal process. To continue using Matlab, uninstall it and then download and install the current version.
MathWorks Account using your @UCI.EDU university email address.
2. Save the Activation Key located here. This key associates your Mathworks account with UC Irvine.
4. Click Add License in the upper right hand corner.
5.Choose Associate by Activation Key and click Continue.
6.Use the Activation Key you retrieved in step 2
8. Choose the version for your computer
9.If above link does not work, you'll see a link to "Download Products" in the right-hand middle of: mathworks.com/licensecenter.
10.Click the download button for the current release.
11. Click the installer button to download the installer.
1) Locate the installer you downloaded in a file browser. It should be located in the default download location, unless you specified another location.
The name of the installer file is (where <release> represents the release number):
2) Start the installer:
3) Now activate your installed version of Matlab. You must be connected to the internet throughout the installation.
4) Agree to the terms of the license agreement.
5) Log in to your MathWorks Account with the account you created earlier.
6) Click select a license and make sure it the right license you want associated with MatLab. For the student license it would be License 980328.
7) Now choose where you want MatLab to be installed. It will default to the drive your operating system is on, which works as long as there's space.
8) If this window pops up because you didn't specify a specific folder, use their recommendation.
9) Select the products you want installed, typically you'll install all the default checked ones so just leave it as is.
10) Select if you want the shortcut icon to be on your desktop or Start menu.
11) Wait for the long installation. It might take up to 30 minutes.
12) MatLab will by default fill the field with the name of the Windows account that is currently using the computer. Don't change this field or MatLab won't launch correctly. Click Next.
13) Now you've reached the confirmation page. Click confirm.
14) Finally! Click Finish and MatLab is now officially installed.
The following toolboxes are included:
A. Make sure that when you are prompted to either log in with a MathWorks Account or Use a File Installation Key, choose to sign in with your MathWorks Account.
Q. How do I add a toolbox package I need?
A. For the Student TAH option (available on this webpage) we are not allowed to purchase additional toolboxes after our license period has begun. Furthermore, we cannot purchase individual toolboxes for single users. And, users cannot add toolboxes even at their own expense.
Here are your options if you need a particular toolbox not offered with the Student TAH software:
1) Your options are to uninstall the UCI version and purchase the student version at the Matlab website for $99 and then add your toolbox.
2) Or, you can use the research version at UCI:
Q. What operating systems is matlab available for?
A. Windows 32 and 64 bit, Mac OS 64 bit, and Linux 64 bit
Q. How do I re install matlab on my computer if I had to re install my operating system, etc.?
A. 1. Log into your Mathworks account here.
2. You should then reach the page shown below. Click View my licenses
3. Click Activation and Installation and then Click on the activation label from the last time you installed matlab.
4. The label should expand. Click Deactivate
5. The following window should pop up. Click Deactivate
6. You should get a message stating the deactivation was successful. Now you can repeat the installation onto your computer.