ANSYS for UCI Engineering Students, Faculty, Researchers
As of 2017, HSSOE has entered into a paid campus license agreement with ANSYS. The software can be used for instruction, education, and non-commercial research.
About ANSYS Campus Software Program:
All ANSYS simulation tools are available to all Engineering students and faculty at UC Irvine.
Our license includes, but is not limited to:
ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS CFX for Computational Fluid Simulations http://www.ansys.com/products/fluids
ANSYS Mechanical (and APDL) for structural analysis simulations http://www.ansys.com/products/structures
ANSYS HFSS for high frequency electromagnetic simulation - antenna design, radar cross sections analysis, etc. http://www.ansys.com/products/electronics/ansys-hfss
ANSYS Maxwell for low frequency electromagnetic simulation – remote power transfer devices, electric drive simulation, etc. http://www.ansys.com/products/electronics/ansys-maxwell
ANSYS SpaceClaim, the easiest and fastest solution to prepare geometry for simulation http://www.ansys.com/products/platform/ansys-spaceclaim
ANSYS Discovery Suite (as of version 19.2), instantaneous simulation used to quickly understand how geometry changes affect the performance of your design. Discovery suite covers CFD, FEA, Thermal, and Modal simulation and optimization. Discovery live technology required a dedicated Nvidia GPU with modern architecture and at least 4 gigs of ram https://www.ansys.com/products/3d-design/ansys-discovery-live
LS-Dyna (25 tasks) under the ANSYS campus software program.
The ANSYS Campus Software Program at UCI School of Engineering includes the following:
Solvers are all included.
The license set includes 50 Research (Mech/CFD), 25 Research (Electromagnetics) and 250 Teaching of each, 75 Composites, and 128 HPC's:
You need to be logged into your UCI Google Apps account.
Download 3 .iso files
**This is a new version. Computer labs and HPC are on v2020R2.
Software including documentation
ANSYS Electromagnetics Suite
Older versions (both linux and windows)
You must be connected to UCI Campus Network using campus ethernet or VPN in order to install ANSYS.
If you are using campus Wi-Fi, you need to use UCI's VPN because OIT blocks many network ports.
1) Mount the ISO labeled ANSYS2021R1_WINX64_DISK1.
Right click on file, select "Mount"
2) Double click the setup.exe after mounting the ISO`
3) Click Install ANSYS Products from the menu that pops up
4) Scroll down and click "I AGREE" and then click NEXT >>
5) Select Install Directory or leave it as the default. Do not change the checked & unchecked boxes. Click Next >>
6) INPUT License Server info.
You must be connected to campus via UCI VPN.
If you are using campus Wi-Fi, you still need to use UCI's VPN because OIT blocks many network ports.
If you continue to experience error messages, look at your Windows Firewall, Advanced Settings, Inbound Rules.
Scroll through and look for any ANSYS software that might be blocked.
7) The software should select the products to be installed based on the license server so click Next >>
If you select additional products, they may not run because we are not licensed for them.
Contact Lisa Preble, LPREBLE@uci.edu if you require use of a package we are not licensed for.
8) Configure CAD
It's up to you if you want to configure those during installation or after.
9) Click Next to continue installation.
10) You will reach the following install screen. It will install until it requires the second iso and the enter path to the next media window pops up. Mount the second ISO named ANSYS2021R1_WINX64_DISK2 and click browse and find your mounted iso. Do this again for Disk 3.
11) Click exit and your ANSYS software should now be ready to be used.
Further configuration for ANSYS 2021
There are additional steps for ANSYS 2021R1. If you are receiving license errors, please do the following:
1) Create or edit the LSHOST Environment Variable as a System Variable and add license server IP address
2) Check the settings in the Licensing Client Settings Manager. This utility doesn't like special characters so use the IP address.
Click TEST to test connection
Click SAVE at the bottom
There are significant firewall exceptions that need to be made in order for all applications within ANSYS to function.
The most common problem is consumer anti-virus software blocks ANSYS.
For HSSOE computer labs, I use the built-in Microsoft antivirus and firewall. Below is the ANSYS firewall exception list for the HSSOE labs.
For your research use, you may not need all of these exceptions.
What I do, is I click on all of the apps in ANSYS and add a program exception whenever I see that an app is blocked.
ANSYS Software FAQ, Support, and Online Help:
1) How do get support?
Visit the ANSYS Support Forum
How do I learn ANSYS
Visit ANSYS Innovation Courses
2) Is this research-level software offered without any node-restrictions?
3) What is the difference between the research version and instructional version?
Currently there are no differences.
4) What are the node restrictions for Instructional-use licenses?
There are no longer any node restrictions.
5) How do I use the ANSYS Campus software from off-campus?
You need to connect to the UCI network using the campus VPN service.
6) What is the license server?
(Ansys, Inc. requires us to hide this information).
7) Who may install the software?
Faculty, Researchers, Graduate Students, Undergraduate Students.
8) Where can I install the software?
You may install the software on personally-owned and University-owned computers.
9) Is the student version still available?
No, everyone should use the Academic version available on this page.
7) I keep getting node restrictions on the research version.
There are no more node restrictions. HPC is restricted to 4 cores. Otherwise there are no node or core restrictions on individual installations.
8) I receive an error "Failed to check out license 'hfsshpc_pack'. License server does not support this license SR Description."
Please know we are licensed for HFSS HPC Pack.
There is a setting you need to configure on your local installation.
Select Tools > Options > HPC and Analysis Options. In the HPC and Analysis Options window click the Options tab. Under HPC Licensing the default is Pack. Change Pack to Pool.
9) My HPC installation is not multi-core. It's supposed to use all my processor cores.
Configure licensing from "Pack" to Pool.
10) What platforms and hardware are supported?
Here is a link for ANSYS Platform Support including benchmark tests.
11) How do I use Fluent?
Please view the documentation.
12) How do I run a parallel process or job scheduler?
In the Fluent Users Guide, see Chapter 34 and 35 on Parallel Processing.
See "Running ANSYS Fluent using a Load Manager.pdf" for using ANSYS Fluent with a supported job scheduler.
If there is interest in parallel computing with other ANSYS tools (HFSS, and Mechanical are also popular) you can find similar documentation on the ANSYS customer portal.
13) How to access ANSYS manuals (Windows)
The product manuals are included within the product installation media, for example:
From ANSYS Workbench GUI > Help > ANSYS Workbench Help
From ANSYS Mechanical GUI > Help > Mechanical Help
From Windows Start > All Programs > ANSYS 18.0 > Help
Every Workbench application has a similar Help menu process that provides access to the application’s documentation
14) How to access ANSYS on the HPC
See documentation here
15) ANSYS Electronics Suite does not open
A recent Windows update (2/8/2021), Microsoft update KB4571756, results in one of the Windows functions (DescribePixelFormat) crashing on startup.
For versions 2018.0 and newer, please try setting the environment variable ANSYS_EM_DONOT_PRELOAD_3DDRIVER_DLL=1 to get around the problem.
New SYSTEM Variable Name: ANSYS_EM_DONOT_PRELOAD_3DDRIVER_DLL
New Variable Value: 1
1) Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System. Click "Advanced System Settings" on the left.
2) Click Environment Variables
3) Click NEW under System Variables
4) Type in System Variable name and value:
New SYSTEM Variable Name: ANSYS_EM_DONOT_PRELOAD_3DDRIVER_DLL
New Variable Value: 1
5) Click OK.
6) Start Ansys EM. You may need to enable PPE option below on the next step.
16) ERROR MESSAGE: Failover feature <FeatureName> specified in license preferences is not available. Request name <featurename> does not exist in the licensing pool. Feature has expired.
This error message appeared with the 1/15/2021 license server update.
ANSYS says the minimum version to work with our license is 2020R1.
Anyone using an older version MUST upgrade.
Additionally, there is a checkbox that must be selected to enable PPE licensing:
How to Fix:
1) Verify Ansys EM version is 2020R1 or newer
2) Open EM Desktop.
3) Go to Tools -> Options -> General Options -> Desktop configuration", then check the first box for enabling PPE license mode
About ANSYS, Inc.
ANSYS brings clarity and insight to customers' most complex design challenges through fast, accurate and reliable engineering simulation. Our technology enables organizations — no matter their industry — to predict with confidence that their products will thrive in the real world. Customers trust our software to help ensure product integrity and drive business success through innovation. Founded in 1970, ANSYS employs more than 2,500 professionals, many of them expert in engineering fields such as finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, electronics and electromagnetics, and design optimization. Headquartered south of Pittsburgh, U.S.A., ANSYS has more than 70 strategic sales locations throughout the world with a network of channel partners in 40+ countries. Visit www.ansys.com for more information.
Ansys Software http://www.ansys.com/